Friday, January 20, 2012

American opposition to Marijuana legalization; What needs to be said

It is time a major Canadian politician said this about marijuana legalization and US opposition to it.

"It is one thing to remain silent, for example, on American foreign policy for fear of damaging trade relations. It is quite another to send someone to jail for violating a law I do not believe is just in order to placate the US."

Liberal leaders have always joked about consuming marijuana. The problem is if the act of consumption is not deemed overly ruinous then the whole punitive rationale for trafficking comes crashing down. Past Liberal policy amounts to Chretien having said this. “I will have my money for my fine and a joint in my other hand. Having paid my fine I would hope the cops find the person who sold it to me in put him in jail for a very long time.”

No comments: